hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ben Liang <lian...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: How to Manage Data Architecture & Modeling for HBase
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2015 13:34:26 GMT
Thank you for your prompt reply.

In my daily work, I mainly used Oracle DB to build a data warehouse with star topology data
modeling, about financial analysis and marketing analysis.
Now I trying to use Hbase to do it.

 I has a question,
1) many tables from ERP should be Incremental loading every day , Including some insert and
some update,  this scenario is appropriate to use  hbase to build data worehose?
2) Is there some case about Enterprise BI Solutions with HBASE?

thanks.

Regards,
Ben Liang

> On Apr 6, 2015, at 20:27, Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yeah. Jean-Marc is right.
>
> You have to think more in terms of a hierarchical model where you’re modeling records
not relationships.

> Your model would look like a single ER box per record type.
>
> The HBase schema is very simple.  Tables, column families and that’s it for static
structures.  Even then, column families tend to get misused.

> If you’re looking at a relational model… Phoenix or Splice Machines would allow you
to do something… although Phoenix is still VERY primitive.
> (Do they take advantage of cell versioning like spice machines yet? )
>

> There are a couple of interesting things where you could create your own modeling tool
/ syntax (relationships)…

> 1) HBase is more 3D than RDBMS 2D and similar to ORDBMSs.
> 2) You can join entities on either a FK principle or on a weaker relationship type.
>
> HBase stores CLOBS/BLOBs in each cell. Its all just byte arrays with a finite bounded
length not to exceed the size of a region. So you could store an entire record as a CLOB within
a cell.  Its in this sense that a cell can represent multiple attributes of your object/record
that you gain an additional dimension and why you only need to use a single data type.

> HBase and Hadoop in general allow one to join orthogonal data sets that have a weak relationship.
 So while you can still join sets against a FK which implies a relationship, you don’t have
to do it.

> Imagine if you wanted to find out the average cost of a front end collision by car of
college aged drivers by major.
> You would be joining insurance records against registrations for all of the universities
in the US for those students between the ages of 17 and 25.

> How would you model this when in fact neither defining attribute is a FK?
> (This is why you need a good Secondary Indexing implementation and not something brain
dead that wasn’t alcohol induced. ;-)

> Does that make sense?
>
> Note: I don’t know if anyone like CCCis, Allstate, State Farm, or Progressive Insurance
are doing anything like this. But they could.