hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ted Tuttle <...@mentacapital.com>
Subject introducing nodes w/ more storage
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2015 14:26:57 GMT
Hello-

Sometime back I asked a question about introducing new nodes w/ more storage that existing
nodes.  I was told at the time that HBase will not be able to utilize the additional storage;
I assumed at the time that regions are allocated to nodes in something like a round-robin
fashion and the node with the least storage sets the limit for how much each node can utilize.

My question this time around has to do with nodes w/ unequal numbers of volumes: Does HBase
allocate regions based on nodes or volumes on the nodes?  I am hoping I can add a node with
8 volumes totaling 8X TB and all the volumes will be filled.  This even though legacy nodes
have 5 volumes and total storage of 5X TB.

Fact or fantasy?

Thanks,
Ted