hbase-user mailing list archives

From Abe Weinograd <...@flonet.com>
Subject manual merge
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 13:54:46 GMT
Hello,

We bulk load our table and during that process, pre-split regions to
optimize load across servers.  The number of regions build up and we
manually are merging them back.  Any merge of two regions is causing a
compaction which slows down our merge process.

We are merging two regions at a time and this it ends up being pretty
slow.  In order to make it merge more regions in a shorter window of time,
should we be merging more than one?  Can we do that?  The reason we are
doing this is that our key is sequential.  In the short term, changing it
is not an option. The merging helps keep the # of total regions down so
that when we create 20 new regions for a load, the balancer will spread out
the new regions across multiple region servers.

We are currently on HBase 0.98.6 (CDH 5.3.0)

Thanks,
Abe