hbase-user mailing list archives

From Dejan Menges <dejan.men...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Strange issue when DataNode goes down
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2015 12:36:03 GMT
Hi,

Sorry for little bit late update, but managed to narrow it little bit down.

We didn't update yet, as we are using Hortonworks distribution right now,
and even if we update we will get 0.98.4. However, looks that issue here
was in our use case and configuration (still looking into it).

Basically, initially I saw that when one server goes down, we start having
performance issues in general, but it managed to be on our client side, due
to caching, and clients were trying to reconnect to nodes that were offline
and later trying to get regions from those nodes too. This is basically why
on server side I didn't manage to see anything in logs that would be at
least little bit interesting and point me into desired direction.

Another question that popped up to me is - in case server is down (and with
it DataNode and HRegionServer it was hosting) - what's optimal time to set
for HMaster to consider server dead reassign regions somewhere else, as
this is another performance bottleneck we hit during inability to access
regions? In our case it's configured to 15 minutes, and simple logic tells
me if you want it earlier then configure lower number of retries, but issue
is as always in details, so not sure if anyone knows some better math for
this?

And last question - is it possible to manually force HBase to reassign
regions? In this case, while HMaster is retrying to contact node that's
dead, it's impossible to force it using 'balancer' command.

Thanks a lot!

Dejan