hbase-user mailing list archives

From Mark Tse <Mark....@D2L.com>
Subject RegionServer - Insufficient Memory and Cascading Errors
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 20:20:29 GMT
Hi everyone,

When I do a scan on a table with about 700 rows (about 50 columns each), the RegionServers
will systematically go offline one at a time until all the RegionServers are offline. This
is probably due to there not being enough memory available for the RegionServer processes
(we are working with sub-1G for our max heap size on our test clusters atm).

Increasing the max heap size for the RegionServers alleviates this problem. However, my concern
is that this kind of cascading failure occurs on production with large datasets even with
a larger heap size.

What steps can I take to prevent this kind of cascading error? Is there a way to configure
RegionServers to return an error instead of just failing (and causing HBase Master to hand
the task to the next available RegionServer)?

Thanks,
Mark