hbase-user mailing list archives

From Pankaj kr <pankaj...@huawei.com>
Subject RE: How to remove a Column Family Property
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2015 08:46:45 GMT
Thanks for the reply Ashish.

I can set EMPTY or NONE value using alter command.
	alter 't1', {NAME => 'cf1', ENCRYPTION => ''}
	alter 't1', {NAME => 'cf1', ENCRYPTION => 'NONE'}

But Exception will be thrown while opening the regions because DefaultCipherProvider has below

  public Cipher getCipher(String name) {
    if (name.equalsIgnoreCase("AES")) {
      return new AES(this);
    throw new RuntimeException("Cipher '" + name + "' is not supported by provider '" +
        getName() + "'");

Client will keep on waiting for all regions to be enabled in table t1.

Yeah we can set it through JAVA APIs. But I am looking for HBase shell option.

-----Original Message-----
From: ashish singhi
Sent: 19 March 2015 16:33
To: Pankaj kr
Subject: RE: How to remove a Column Family Property

I think with the current code in shell it is not possible.
But You can try something by setting ENCRYPTION => ''
But here it may long time to update u can enter ctrl+c (break the operation) and then execute
describe command you will see that ENCRYPTION is set to ''.
But you can do this from java using, HColumnDescriptor#setEncryptionType.

I don't think it will be much useful for shell to support this Ideally at production hbase
shell is hardly used they generally use hbase client via java.
HBase shell is mainly for meant developers.