hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: filter serialization question
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2015 18:35:45 GMT
On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Ian Friedman <ian@flurry.com> wrote:

> Hello! I'm in the process of upgrading our HBase 94 codebase to HBase 98.
> The org.apache.hadoop.hbase.filter.Filter class now has a field
> protected boolean reversed; which seems to, from my reading of the code
> that touches it, be a transient field set only when the Scan using the
> filter is itself reversed. It doesn't seem like it's supposed to be
> serialized/deserialized with the rest of the filter. However it is not
> marked transient, which trips up our serialization unittests... Is my
> reading wrong and this field should get serialized (despite being protected
> in a abstract base class) or should this field actually be transient?

You are reading it correctly Ian. It should be marked transient. It is not
serialized when a Filter is serialized and apparently is not meant to be.
It is actually confusing what this flag is about.

Do you need us to make a release with this set transient? (If upgrading,
what else can we do to make your life easier?)