hbase-user mailing list archives

From Wilm Schumacher <wilm.schumac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28350940/cannot-start-standalone-instance-of-hbase
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2015 16:54:46 GMT
Dammit, Brian was faster ;).

However, I'd REALLY REALLY recommand to not use windows for running and
testing hbase. Of course hbase is suitable to run on windows, but a real
setup (cluster, kerberos, custom thrift ... all the fancy stuff) will be
very ... challenging!

The ssh configuration must be horribly complicate on Windows machines :/.

I would recommend the usage of a ubuntu server install in a virtual
machine with a fixed IP, run hbase there, test everything etc. This will
be much easier, and more realistic to a real world application.

If you make the correct configuration thanks to the design of hadoop you
would still be able to develop and run all your programs on your local
Windows machine, but the real work would be done by the virtual machine.

Best wishes and hope it helps for future setups

Wilm

ps: I'm biased. I really really ... do not like Windows (carefully
worded). Thus my words should be taken as propaganda ;).