hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: 1 vs. N CFs, dense vs. sparse CFs, flushing
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2015 18:02:03 GMT
On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 9:10 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <otis.gospodnetic@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently came across this good thread about 1 vs. N ColumnFamilies, the
> max recommended number of CFs, dense vs. sparse structure, etc. --
> http://search-hadoop.com/m/TozMw1jqh262
>
> This thread is from 2013. Even though people say HBase should handle more
> than 3 CFs, the docs still recommend to stick to 2-3 CFs.  Is that still
> the case?
>
> See http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#number.of.cfs

That thread is Ted quoting a conservative recommendation from the refguide
followed by pushback that suggests the refguide needs updating to add
'depends' with expansion on what we mean by depends.

This latter did not make it into the refguide.

> Also, the thread talks about lumpy CFs and the fact that all CFs would have
> to be flushed whenever any one of them triggers compaction..... but I
> remember something being changed in this space a while back.  No?

Yeah. This is still the case.  A gentleman contributor is working on fixing
this in HBASE-10201. Its looking good and should help with this
long-standing lumpy region issue.

St.Ack