hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: setCompactionEnabled(false) seems ignored by HBase (0.98)
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2015 17:37:06 GMT
On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 11:00 PM, Jianshi Huang <jianshi.huang@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Firstly, I found it strange that when I added a new split to a table and do
> admin.move, it will trigger a MAJOR compaction for the whole table.

Usually, a compactions says what provoked it in the log and why it a major
compaction.

Splits and moves are not hooked up to force a major compaction so check
logs to see what brought on the compaction.  Rather than wholesale disable
compactions -- probably a bad idea -- you are probably better off trying to
tune what triggers compactions in your workload.

St.Ack