hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Low CPU usage and slow reads in pseudo-distributed mode - how to fix?
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2015 05:29:00 GMT
On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Dave Benson <davehbenson@gmail.com> wrote:

> St.Ack, Michael and Ted - thanks for your responses.

> St.Ack - I hope you can forgive the question, but which "thresholds" should
> I be lowering, exactly? Do you mean that I should decrease the HBase
> heapsize until RAM usage stays below 4G?

Do whatever it takes to stop the swapping (Buying an extra DRAM stick to
put in the machine might be your best bet).  Setting swappyness down low --
0 or 1% or so -- would help though it looks on your system that swappyness
is already set low.  Down the HBase heap size yeah -- 1G or lower -- and
any other process heaps you have running proportionally (e.g. cut down your
nutch MR task heap size allocations too -- if you can get away with it and
have them still run to completion).

You should be able to get a basic system running. It will likely be i/o
bound since you are not able to cache much in the HBase heap since you have
so little.