hbase-user mailing list archives

From Shuai Lin <linshuai2...@gmail.com>
Subject Delete a region from hbase
Date Sat, 24 Jan 2015 17:25:06 GMT
Hi all,

We're using hbase 0.94-15 from CDH4 repo, and we're planning to delete
several regions which contain data that are no longer needed.

Basically we plan to use HRegion.deleteRegion
<http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh4/cdh/4/hbase-0.94.2-cdh4.2.0/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/regionserver/HRegion.html#deleteRegion%28org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem,%20org.apache.hadoop.fs.Path,%20org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HRegionInfo%29>
as described in this article.
<http://prafull-blog.blogspot.jp/2012/06/how-to-delete-hbase-region-including.html>

We can guarantee that  there would not be any request going to these
regions during the deletion. Here are my questions:

-- Is there any caveat of using this way to delete regions, especially
those that may cause downtime? Because we'll delete the regions in our
production cluster, we need really be careful of any possible consequences.

-- After deleting the region, do we really need to re-create it? If we do
not recreate these regions, there would be "holes" in the rowkey space. Can
we use some tool like hbck to fix this? Another way is to just recreate the
regions, and later merge these empty regions with their neighbors. Which
one is better?

Thanks!

Regards,
Shuai