hbase-user mailing list archives

From Wilm Schumacher <wilm.schumac...@gmail.com>
Subject general question about datamodel => empty columns
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2015 21:23:20 GMT
Hi,

I run into a problem , which I encounter several times by now and
perhaps you can help me.

What should I include in tables where just the qualifier is needed? E.g.
in indexing you have to make the reference of the index either by
columns, or by rows in the index table. But in this way, there is no
data to put into the table.

An example for clarification:
Suppose you want to make an index for another table which indexes
something like "type of entry".

row1 data:type => type1 , data:data => foo
row2 data:type => type2 , data:data => bar
row3 data:type => type1 , data:data => baz
row4 data:type => type2 , data:data => whatever

indexing 1: indexing by columns

type1 index:row1 => ??? , index:row2 => ???
type2 index:row2 => ??? , index:row4 => ???

indexing 2: indexing by rows
type1-row1 ??:?? => ??
type1-row3 ??:?? => ??
type2-row2 ??:?? => ??
type2-row3 ??:?? => ??

works if there is any column family file to scan. Thus I need data.

either way ... I actually have to put data where it is'n needed.

What should I do to insert into the columns? By now I mostly use the
timestamp of creation, which in my opinion is quite stupid, as I have
the timestamp in the column right away. This only would waste space. I
could use empty strings (bytes), which will work, but somehow feels wrong.

What are you using? Is empty string/useless timestamp common practice?

Best wishes,

Wilm