hbase-user mailing list archives

From Taeyun Kim <taeyun....@innowireless.com>
Subject RE: general question about datamodel => empty columns
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2015 00:48:39 GMT

<index2> Not needed

Cheers.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wilm Schumacher [mailto:wilm.schumacher@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2015 6:23 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: general question about datamodel => empty columns

Hi,

I run into a problem , which I encounter several times by now and perhaps you can help me.

What should I include in tables where just the qualifier is needed? E.g.
in indexing you have to make the reference of the index either by columns, or by rows in the
index table. But in this way, there is no data to put into the table.

An example for clarification:
Suppose you want to make an index for another table which indexes something like "type of
entry".

row1 data:type => type1 , data:data => foo
row2 data:type => type2 , data:data => bar
row3 data:type => type1 , data:data => baz
row4 data:type => type2 , data:data => whatever

indexing 1: indexing by columns

type1 index:row1 => ??? , index:row2 => ???
type2 index:row2 => ??? , index:row4 => ???

indexing 2: indexing by rows
type1-row1 ??:?? => ??
type1-row3 ??:?? => ??
type2-row2 ??:?? => ??
type2-row3 ??:?? => ??

works if there is any column family file to scan. Thus I need data.

either way ... I actually have to put data where it is'n needed.

What should I do to insert into the columns? By now I mostly use the timestamp of creation,
which in my opinion is quite stupid, as I have the timestamp in the column right away. This
only would waste space. I could use empty strings (bytes), which will work, but somehow feels
wrong.

What are you using? Is empty string/useless timestamp common practice?

Best wishes,

Wilm