hbase-user mailing list archives

From Devaraja Swami <devarajasw...@gmail.com>
Subject setFilter for Delete operations?
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2014 21:34:31 GMT
Are there any plans for including a Filter for Delete?
Currently, the only way seems to be via checkAndDelete in HTable/Table.
This is helpful but does not cover all use cases.

For e.g., I use column qualifier prefixes as a sort of poor man's 2rd level
of indexing (i.e, 3 levels of indexing comprising row key --> column
qualifier prefix --> column qualifier suffix). This works well for Get and
Scan, since I can use a prefix column qualifier filter for the 2nd indexing
level.
However, I am not able to specify that an entire set of column qualifiers
sharing the same prefix should be deleted, without doing a Get first to
identify all the full column qualifier values with the same prefix, and
then adding those qualifiers to the Delete. This is obviously highly
inefficient.

checkAndDelete doesn't help here since it does not support prefix tests.
Moreover, I cannot just add a new column family for every unique column
qualifier prefix I need in my data model. In general, using just one column
family per table seems to be most efficient.

I can think of other use cases where one would need to delete a lot of
columns that match one of the available HBase filters, but whose exact
column qualifier values are not known at deletion time at the client.

All these uses cases can be taken care of by allowing Delete to support a
setFilter method, exactly as in the case of Get and Scan.