hbase-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis.gospodne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Programmatic HBase version detection/extraction
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2014 21:49:19 GMT
Hi Ted,

Thanks, but I'm looking for something I can grab programmatically (not
manually), for example from a Java app.  Maybe there is some API that
exposes this information or an MBean?

Here's the use case:
SPM monitors HBase <http://sematext.com/spm/>, but HBase MBeans and metrics
have changed over time.
How will SPM agent know which MBeans to look for, which metrics to extract,
and how to interpret values it extracts without knowing which version of
HBase it's monitoring?
It could try proming for some known MBeans and deduce HBase version from
that, but that feels a little sloppy.
Ideally, we'd be able to grab the version from some MBean and based on that
extract metrics we know are exposed in that version of HBase.

Thanks,
Otis