hbase-user mailing list archives

From Shahab Yunus <shahab.yu...@gmail.com>
Subject Forcibly merging regions
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:41:09 GMT
The documentation of online merge tool (merge_region) states that if we
forcibly merge regions (by setting the 3rd attribute as true) then it can
create overlapping regions. if this happens then will this render the
region or table unusable or it is just a performance hit? I mean how bigger
of a deal it is?

Actually, we are merging regions using the programmatic API for this and
setting this flag ('forcible') as false. But for some tables (we haven't
figured out a pattern yet, data is still accessible), merge of regions do
not happen at all. Afterwards we tried with this flag = true, and it still
doesn't merge them.

CDH 5.1.0
(Hbase is 0.98.1-cdh5.1.0)

Regards,