hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bill Q <bill.q....@gmail.com>
Subject Storing data with long history of versions
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2014 14:21:22 GMT
Hi,
I am designing a schema to store time series data for each device. And I
have a couple of questions that I am not quit sure.

1. *Is there any down side for storing the data in the same
columnfamily:column with a long history of customized timestamp? *

For example, I have historical daily data for a device. I would like to use
only one column qualifier to store them with custom timestamp, which is the
date of the data was collected. So, when I query the data I can easily pull
all the timeseries data against this particular device in one scan.

2. *After a storefile is finalized and become immutable, what would happen
when someone updates the row? *

For example, if I insert a new column:value with a newer timestamp into the
same row:columnfamily. Where is this new key/value part going to sit in the
HDFS? Is it close to the previous K/V pairs in the storefile?

Many thanks.

Bill