hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-m...@spaggiari.org>
Subject Re: Too many non-used regions
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2014 11:53:37 GMT
To reply to the question "Can big count of non-used(!!!) regions affect
write/read perfomance for tables which are in use.", respons is: No.

If regions are not receiving writes, memstore will not take memory from the
reserved write memory area.
If regions are not receiving reads, there will be no blocks cached for
those tables.

There will still be some memory used for the meta informations for those
regions on the region servers, but this memory is not part of the memstore
nor he blockcache areas and will not impact the performances of the other
operations as long as you still have enough memory to store metadata of all
those regions.

On average, on a server, how many regions total you have, and part from
that, how many get writes, how many get reads? Also, what is the configured
heap size and have you change the configuration for the block cache and the
memstore areas?

JM