hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Rendon, Carlos (KBB - Irvine)" <Carlos.Ren...@kbb.com>
Subject RE: getting into the industry, is theory enough?
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2014 21:14:39 GMT
Hi,

I can tell you my experience. I saw a job opening at KBB.com that had to do with crunching
large amounts of data for user personalization. I took the job and they provided Hadoop/HBase
training.

When interviewing, I focused on my previous successful experiences working on projects involving
data analysis at large scale. In my case prior technologies were things like Microsoft SQL
Server and custom Java code. I didn't have any Hadoop experience but I did have experience
with data analysis. I also talked about prior successful software projects I had finished,
and general software engineering skills.

Hope that helps,
Carlos

-----Original Message-----
From: S Ahmed [mailto:sahmed1020@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2014 1:18 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: RE: getting into the industry, is theory enough?

Hello!

How do you guys suggest someone get into the hbase/hadoop industry with a focus on the software
development side (as oppose to ops) ?

If all you have done is read a few books, played around with hbase and maybe cloudera's packages
how exactly would that result in getting some kind of employment in the industry?

I'm not sure how mature the market is so I am weary if it is a good idea or not to focus in
this domain.

Do most people just fall into the industry b/c their company provides training and real-life
problems to solve?  i.e. you have to be in a company that at some point adopts hadoop/hbase
and you are fortunate enough to get on the project.