hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ted <r6squee...@gmail.com>
Subject are column qualifiers safe as user inputed values?
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:19:06 GMT
Hi I'm wondering if it's safe to use user inputed values as column qualifiers.

I realised there maybe a sensible size limit, but that's easily checked.

The scenario is if you wanted to store simple key/value pairs into
column/values like perhaps some ones preferences like :

FavouriteColour=Red
FavouritePet=Cat

where the user may get to choose both the key and value.

Basically the concern is special characters and or special parsing of
the column names, as an example the column names are allegedly =
<family_name> : <column_qualifier>

so what happens if people put more colons in the qualifier and or
escape characters like backspace or other control characters etc? Is
there any danger or is it all just uninterpreted bytes values after
the first colon?

thanks
--
Ted.