hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Boesch <java...@gmail.com>
Subject Nested data structures examples for HBase
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2014 21:06:31 GMT
While I am aware that HBase does not have native support for nested
structures, surely there are some of you that have thought through this use
case carefully.

Our particular use case is likely having single digit nested layers with
tens to hundreds of items in the lists at each level.

An example would be a

 top Level  300 items
 middle level :  1 to 100 items  ("1 value"  may indicate a single value as
opposed to a list)
 third level:  1 to 50 items
 fourth level  1 to 20 items

The column names are likely known ahead of time- which may or may not
matter for hbase.  We could model the above structure in a Parquet File or
in Hive (with nested struct's)- but we would like to consider whether
HBase.might also be an option.