hbase-user mailing list archives

From Dima Spivak <dspi...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: I tried to learn hbase from apache site and Hbase in action. But i am not able to get clarity on hbase. could you please suggest me best way to learn hbase.
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2014 23:52:26 GMT
Dear Satya,

Copying and pasting the Java into the hbase shell won't work since it uses
a unique syntax based on JRuby.

If you want to run the code you see in Java, the easiest way to do it is to
use an IDE like IntelliJ. Create a Maven project with a pom.xml file and
include the hbase-client as a dependency. Then create a class with code
that you want to run and IntelliJ will help with the necessary imports.
Finally, use Maven to compile and run your classes. As an easier
alternative, HBase in Action as well as Lars Georges' HBase: The Definitive
Guide both include all the necessary dependencies as downloads to make it
easy to run the example code, so maybe give that a shot if you haven't
played with Maven in the past.

All the best,
   Dima