hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Nested data structures examples for HBase
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2014 20:25:20 GMT
Ok, but here’s the thing… you extrapolate the design out… each column with a subordinate
record will get its own CF.
Simple examples can go very bad when you move to real life.

Again you need to look at hierarchical databases and not think in terms of relational.
To give you a really good example… look at a point of sale system in Pick/Revelation/U2
…

You are great at finding a specific customer’s order and what they ordered.
You suck at telling me how many customers ordered that widget  in red.  during the past month’s
promotion.
(You’ll need to do a map/reduce for that. )

This is why you have to go in to secondary indexing. (Which is a whole different ball of wax
from inverted tables to SOLR. )

But to really grok hbase, you have to understand data structures and databases beyond relational.