hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ted Tuttle <...@mentacapital.com>
Subject RE: RS storage capacity mismatches
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2014 21:07:35 GMT
Hello Ted-

We are considering added new nodes to existing cluster that have higher storage capacity than
current nodes.  We hope, but do not know, that HBase would assign more regions to RSs that
have more storage capacity.

We are considering 2x storage on new nodes vs current node.

From: Ted Yu [mailto:yuzhihong@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2014 1:58 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Cc: Development
Subject: Re: RS storage capacity mismatches

Some clarification: by unequal storage capacity, you are expecting certain region servers
to host fewer regions, right ?

How big is the difference between memory capacity among the old and new servers ?

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Ted Tuttle <ted@mentacapital.com<mailto:ted@mentacapital.com>>

How does HBase handle region servers with unequal storage capacity?  We made the original
nodes of our cluster a bit light on storage and are wondering what would happen is we started
adding nodes w/ more storage capacity.