hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Beaudreault <bbeaudrea...@hubspot.com>
Subject Re: state-of-the-art method for merging regions on v0.94
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2014 18:26:26 GMT
I've done it.  This is the code I used:
https://gist.github.com/bbeaudreault/7567385

It comes from the hbase source, but is modified to actually work (the class
provided in hbase is private and does not work out of the box). There is a
readme at the bottom of the gist with my process.  One important note
though, I did this with a deep understanding (after hours of reading hbase
code and doing tests on a test cluster) of how it all works.  And even then
I felt nervous to do it in prod.  Hence why I went the snapshot/compact
route.

I would definitely test it on a test cluster and get some familiarity
before getting close to a production table.  That said, I've run this on
8-10 production tables a few months ago, reducing in size from 10-20x in
some cases.