hbase-user mailing list archives

From Gary Helmling <ghelml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: getting delegation token for hbase
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2014 20:35:55 GMT

> I don’t think we need to support older versions of HBase. However there is
> one thing that still bugs me. How does token renewal work here? Generally
> in HDFS I have seen that you have to pass in the renewer user as an
> argument when you obtain a token. Here as renew user is not passed I am
> guessing it’s either some hardcoded Hbase value, or its derived from the
> UGI.

HBase doesn't really handle token renewal the way that, say, HDFS does.
With HBase the token is simply valid for a fixed period.  In HDFS, the NN
retains a map of all current tokens in memory and updates the expiration
for a given token when it is renewed, but this is still subject to a max
age, so that token still eventually expires.  In HBase, the authentication
performed with the token is distributed (all regionservers can authenticate
clients with the token), so keeping all tokens synchronized in memory on
all nodes would be difficult.  I also don't think supporting renewal would
add a great deal of value for this case.

So for a truly long running process which could live beyond the token
lifetime, you need to have your "delegator", which obtains the initial
tokens, periodically obtain new tokens for the processes and make those
available to the processes that need them.  The same will also be true for
HDFS delegation tokens when your processes could run for longer than the
token max age (maximum renewal time).