hbase-user mailing list archives

From Wilm Schumacher <wilm.schumac...@cawoom.com>
Subject hbase attack scenarios?
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2014 04:46:02 GMT

sry for asking a fundamental newbie question again :/.

But after coding some applications with using hbase I want to reconsider
the security. Especially after today some (i.e. billions) e-mail
addresses and hashes are stolen.

So, my question is: what are the most prominent and general attack
scenarios on a e.g. web app using hbase?

The official documentation
is not very verbose about this topic.

Of course this depends on the application, but I would appreciate
general hints to possible attacks, which could be interesting for other
readers of this mailing list, too.

Perhaps as an example we could image a social network:

* with a table for the users (rowkey = username, data:passwdhash,
data:birthdate, data:firstname, data:lastname etc., and chatid:XYZ,
chatid:ZYX etc.)

* and a table for communication ("chat") between this persons (rowkey =
chatID + Timestamp).

* using the thrift interface (or somthing special adopted but similar to
the thrift interface. Some get, some mutateRow operations etc.)

for this application I can only image 4 possible attacks (which are
actually not specific to hbase)
1.) DOS
=> Firewall protection. But nobody can do something against that if it's
large enough

2.) Capturing of the application server (web server in this case) and
getting direct access to the db (and then do a scan of the data)
=> user access control (e.g.

3.) errors in the (web-)application so that a user is allowed to read
chats of other people (by e.g. spoofing of requests)

4.) cross site scripting and cross site forgery (or session capturing etc.)

1 and 2 are standard attacks which affects every system, db or server,
and can be avoided by standard methods. 3 and 4 are standard tricks for
web apps where hbase cannot do anything to protect the data (where it's
actually not important which db someone uses). But there are trillions
of possible strategies against that.

But I cannot imagine something like an SQL-injection, where the
avoidance of the attack have to be build into the application (escaping

Are there any hbase specific attacks you can imagine?

Best wishes

View raw message