hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: state-of-the-art method for merging regions on v0.94
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:01:16 GMT
Hey Ted!

How many regions (per region server) do you have on average?
If it's not too bad you might just be able to increase hbase.hregion.max.filesize to 10 or
20g and bounce all the region servers.
Then as you write more data you will fill up the existing regions.

"Too bad" is fuzzy. If you approach hundreds of regions per region server you likely have
a problem, depending on your read/write patterns.

-- Lars

________________________________
 From: Ted Tuttle <ted@mentacapital.com>
To: "user@hbase.apache.org" <user@hbase.apache.org>
Cc: Development <Development@mentacapital.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 11:19 AM
Subject: state-of-the-art method for merging regions on v0.94

Hello-

We recently realized our region size is 1G and need to increase it to get our region count
under control.  I've done some research on merging regions and have come away confused.

There is the ops handbook:

http://hbase.apache.org/book/ops.regionmgt.html

And then there is this horror story:

http://metabroadcast.com/blog/so-you-broke-hbase

Is there someone out there that has done a large scale (i.e. 10:1 reduction on 10k's of regions)
merge successfully on HBase 0.94?  If so, how did you do it?

Thanks,
Ted