hbase-user mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: How Hbase achieves efficient random access?
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2014 06:26:36 GMT

>>Another issue is that we cache only blocks. So for workloads with random reads where
the working set of blocks does not fit into the aggregate block cache HBase would need to
load an entire block for each KV it wants to read. For those >>workloads we might want
to consider a KV cache. (See also Vladimirs BigBase - https://github.com/VladRodionov/bigbase).

Yes, the upcoming first release of BigBase (later this month) will have support for SSD cache
in row (KV) cache and block cache. You will be able to use efficiently both :
all server's RAM and available SSD disks (especially useful for those who run HBase on AWS
EC2: all new instances come, by default, with local SSD disks.)

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov

http://www.bigbase.org