hbase-user mailing list archives

From Liam Slusser <lslus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rowkey, Consistant Hashing, MD5?
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2014 21:44:38 GMT
MD5 isn't a consistent hashing algorithm.  Consistent hashing is a scheme
that provides a hash table functionality in a way that the adding or
removing of one slot does not significantly change the mapping of keys to
slots.  With that said, a lot of consistent hashing algorithms USE
md5...but it alone won't get you all the way there.

Some light bedtime reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consistent_hashing

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 7:18 AM, Mingtao Zhang <mail2mingtao@gmail.com>