hbase-user mailing list archives

From Artem Ervits <are9...@nyp.org>
Subject Re: Using HBase in standalone mode in production
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2014 01:56:13 GMT
Though I have not looked at it myself but you can run hbase as a long running process on Yarn
(apache slider). As far as I understand, you can have an instance of any size with flexibility
of growing and shrinking.

Artem Ervits
Data Analyst
New York Presbyterian Hospital

----- Original Message -----
From: Arun Allamsetty [mailto:arun.allamsetty@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 08:37 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org <user@hbase.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Using HBase in standalone mode in production

I have never tried MySQL's blob or varbinary. I guess I can look into that.
Thanks for answering my questions.

Arun
On Jul 7, 2014 6:22 PM, "Dima Spivak" <dspivak@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Does MySQL's BLOB or VARBINARY satisfy your use case?
>
> As for converting a pseudo-distributed cluster to a distributed one, unless
> I'm mistaken, you should have no problem doing so. HDFS is quite good with
> scaling, whether it's from 10 machines to 20 or 1 to 10 and I don't know of
> any reason that HBase would cause any problems in this regard.
>
> -Dima
>

> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Arun Allamsetty <arun.allamsetty@gmail.com
> >
> wrote:
>
> > I understand. But for example, my use case is where even if I don't have
> > lot of data, what if I would rather store serialized objects. For this
> > traditional RDBMS are not suitable. If I can forego the fail safe
> > capabilities, then what is a good choice (if not HBase).
> >
> > Also, on a different note, if I have a HBase installation in pseudo
> > distributed mode, then can I convert it into a distributed setup by
> adding
> > more machines without any loss in data?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Arun
> > On Jul 7, 2014 6:02 PM, "Dima Spivak" <dspivak@cloudera.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In general, production systems run in distributed mode because they
> > > leverage HBase's scalability and reliability; HBase really only shows
> its
> > > worth when it's charged with managing terabytes of data on a
> > fault-tolerant
> > > file system like HDFS. You lose both of these when you run in
> standalone
> > > mode, so I'd be a bit worried about using such a setup for any
> production
> > > use.
> > >
> > > -Dima
> > >

> > > On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Arun Allamsetty <
> > arun.allamsetty@gmail.com

> One
> > is
> > > distributed
> > just
> > machines.

> > large
> mode
> > > is
> able
> > > production.

> am
> it
> when
> > > you
> > our

> > capabilities
> it

> > database
> > > about

contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient,
of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error or are
mail address noted above, and delete and destroy all copies of this message. Thank you.