hbase-user mailing list archives

From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject Metadata conventions/tools
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2014 18:16:47 GMT
Greetings!  We are an ISV of ETL/DI/DQ software and desire to support connections to HBase
for "classic tabular" data like one would store in an RDBMS.  To that end, I am trying to
better understand how people typically use HBase to store this type of data.  Hive appears
to wrap HBase and provide a meta-data layer, and users on @hadoop have commented that Phoenix
and Lingual are also used, as well as various home-grown solutions.  But we're really interested
in the most common uses and conventions.  Can you comment on what "most people" actually use
in production.  We are not really bleeding-edge (other than running in Hadoop, which I suppose
makes us bleeding edge), in the sense that our customers tend to come from a server/RDBMS
world and are very comfortable with that paradigm.
Thanks,
John