hbase-user mailing list archives

From Liam Slusser <lslus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is the best database to handle large volume of data
Date Fri, 23 May 2014 22:29:06 GMT
Just to counter...Oracle can handle that type of load.  My company has an
extremely large DW in Oracle RDBMS, we add close to 100 million records as
day and have three years worth of history.  The hardware it runs on isn't
as impressive as you might think and all works very well.  The key in
having an extremely large Oracle database is understanding your data and
the star-relationships of that data so queries can execute quickly since
you are somewhat limited on system resources.

Hadoop is better at storing everything and the kitchen sink and being able
to do ad-hawk queries against it...but Oracle works great with structured

And since this is a HBASE mailing list, we push probably around 200m
records into hbase a day (all things logs) and are able to do queries
against it.  It works really well.  The key is having a well designed key
so you can find things quickly.