hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Any lessons from hbase deployments on on-premise products ?
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 12:14:13 GMT

On May 20, 2014, at 3:24 PM, Venkat <rkreddy@gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
> Are there users here who have deployed hbase on a production product
> cluster that sits on customer premise ?

> Any lessons learnt on
> support/maintainability of such installations are greatly appreciated.
Every client is different. YMMV.

You need to lock down certain functions, and you need to lock down certain tunable parameters.

HBase isn’t a fire and forget type of system.

> Apologize if this questions has been asked before and if this is the wrong
> mailing list.
There’s not a lot that I can say. Sorry. NDAs can be a bitch.
Overall, I’d say that HBase can be powerful, but at the same time fragile.

If you have a customer who has their own dev staff … you need to be really careful.
If its drop in and run w no additional development or monkeying with the cluster? Its going
to be more stable.
Also when you tune the cluster… don’t fine tune it, but leave some headroom…

> Thanks,
> -Venkat.

View raw message