hbase-user mailing list archives

From Henry Hung <YTHu...@winbond.com>
Subject about "hbase.client.keyvalue.maxsize"
Date Thu, 29 May 2014 02:26:02 GMT
Hi All,

Today I stumble upon this error:

Error: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: KeyValue
size too large
        at com.winbond.hadoop.fdc.mapreduce.xml.XmlToHBaseMapper.map(XmlToHBaseMapper.java:204)
        at com.winbond.hadoop.fdc.mapreduce.xml.XmlToHBaseMapper.map(XmlToHBaseMapper.java:1)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask.runNewMapper(MapTask.java:763)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.YarnChild$2.run(YarnChild.java:162)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1491)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.YarnChild.main(YarnChild.java:157)

After looking into the source code, it appears this is a constraint impose by hbase.client.keyvalue.maxsize
= 10485760.

>From the parameter description:
Specifies the combined maximum allowed size of a KeyValue instance. This is to set an upper
boundary for a single entry saved in a storage file. Since they cannot be split it helps avoiding
that a region cannot be split any further because the data is too large. It seems wise to
set this to a fraction of the maximum region size. Setting it to zero or less disables the
check.

If I set the table's region size to be maximum 20GB before splitting, could I set the hbase.client.keyvalue.maxsize
to a larger value? Such as: 200 MB

One more thing, when I looked into HTable.java source code, it appears that the key value
size is checked before compression, is this true?
I think it should be more reasonable to check the size after compression, no?

Best regards,
Henry Hung

The privileged confidential information contained in this email is intended for use only by
the addressees as indicated by the original sender of this email. If you are not the addressee
indicated in this email or are not responsible for delivery of the email to such a person,
please kindly reply to the sender indicating this fact and delete all copies of it from your
computer and network server immediately. Your cooperation is highly appreciated. It is advised
that any unauthorized use of confidential information of Winbond is strictly prohibited; and
any information in this email irrelevant to the official business of Winbond shall be deemed
as neither given nor endorsed by Winbond.