hbase-user mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: Hadoop Summit EU HBase Meetup Review
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 02:09:51 GMT
Very interesting write up, but quite hard to read.

configuration, installation, complexity, documentation ... these can be improved, no doubts,
some other features (Inter DC replication and high availability) are still
behind of Cassandra's I think and this should be prioritized by HBase community. I do not
count MongoDB as a real contender - its in another league and will become niche product for
quick mash-ups of  web apps
very soon. The real problem of HBase, I agree - its does not have real corporate sponsor similar
to Cassandra's DataStax.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

From: Subash DSouza [subashdsouza@outlook.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 6:07 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Hadoop Summit EU HBase Meetup Review

We had Hadoop Summit Europe last week where we had an HBase Meetup. First we had Enis talk
about HBase Architectureand then Lars talked about some interesting HBase Use CasesFinally,
we opened it up to the public where we had a frank discussion on the Uptake of HBase vs. other
NoSQL DB's such as Mongo and Cassandra. This wasn't about bashing other DB's, just understanding
how the spectrum of NoSQL DB's was leading to a evaluation/production use of HBase. It was
also partly based on the report from InfoWorldhttp://podcasts.infoworld.com/d/big-data/big-data-showdown-cassandra-vs-hbase-239592Anyways
these were the major points we discussed(Lars and Jon Hsieh from Cloudera, Enis and Devaraj
from Hortonworks contributed with about input from 12 other users from the community)Documentation
- Cassandra has a better web page than HBase does. Even though HBase's documentation is complete,
finding the documentation is a bit hard. Installation - HBase is hard to install for the newbie.
I think there has been some effort to make this more friendly by wrapping the master in RegionServersVendor
Pushes - Cassandra has DataStax, Pentaho pushes Mongo, Cloudera pushes Impala, MapR is pushing
their proprietary FS, IBM their own DB's. Even though HBase is part of the Hadoop Ecosystem,
there is no one vendor that is exclusively pushing HBase to uptake by the community or even
by the Hadoop communityMessaging - HBase has been at the backend of a no. of negative marketing
by various vendors over things that were possibly true in the past. For e.g. Lars mentioned
that a certain vendor was incorrectly stating that HBase has issue with SPOF even though this
hasn't been true for quite some time. Similarly, Jon mentioned that a certain slide where
he was talking about the complexity of HBase was taken out of context and shown as a negative
implementation of HBaseSQL based solutions - Even though there are a no. of efforts to showcase
that HBase has some SQL based interfaces available like Phoenix, Impala & Hive(Albeit
some issues), there is still misconception that HBase is purely accessed via JavaSecurity
in HBase - Even though 0.98 has Security, it needs to be road tested.Some recommendations:Push
messaging out and make it more clear - Apache blogs, Hortonworks Blogs, Cloudera blogsDocumentation
- David Worms, who is a consultant out of France, has volunteered to help make the website
better. You may want to reach out to him - fr.linkedin.com/pub/david-worms/7/626/630Cost Calculator
- Lars made a great point of having a cost calculator ability to estimate the cost of various
operations. This makes it very likely by bigger organizations to pick and choose HBase by
understanding how they affect the bottom line

Update from Andrew -

"HBase has had strong security since 0.94 if not 0.92 - secure RPC and ACLs at the table and
column family level. We had these features before Cassandra and even Accumulo.Why stuff like
that gets lost is we are a bunch of engineers not marketers. The trouble with messaging is
someone has to write it. Since it's a joyless job for most engineers, someone must be paid
to do it. "

Thanks
Subash