hbase-user mailing list archives

From R W <aijw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is the best practice for backup HBase data?
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2014 11:23:44 GMT
Hi Esteban

I checked the snapshot feature and tried myself, it's very good, one of the
introduction
http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/03/introduction-to-apache-hbase-snapshots/mentioned
about:

Clone a snapshot: This operation creates a new table using the same schema
> and with the same data present in the specified snapshot. The result of
> this operation is a new fully functional table that can can be modified
> with no impact on the original table or the snapshot.

I think this clone operation will make a copy of the snapshot, then create
the new table from the copy of the snapshot, am i correct? Otherwise,
modification to the new table will change the snapshot, right?

Another question, if we want to backup hbase data somewhere else, it seems
we cannot go with snapshot feature, we want the data to be backup even
after the whole Hadoop cluster down, any idea?

Thanks
aij