hbase-user mailing list archives

From Software Dev <static.void....@gmail.com>
Subject Help with row and column design
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 22:34:23 GMT
Hey all. I have some questions regarding row key and column design.

We want to calculate some metrics based on our page views broken down
by hour, day, month and year. We also want this broken down country
and have the ability to filter by some other attributes such as the
sex of the user or whether or not the user is logged in..... Note
these will all be increments.

So we have the initial row key design as

YYYY - Row key for yearly totals
YYYYMM - Row key for monthly totals
YYYYMMDD - Row key for daily totals
YYYYMMDDHH - Row key for hourly totals

I think this may make sense as it will be easy to do a range scan over
a time period.

Now for my column design. We were thinking along these lines.

daily:US  - Daily counts for the US
hourly:CA - Hourly counts for Canada
... and so on

Now this seems like it would work but fails when we add in the
requirement of filtering results base on some other attributes. Say we
wanted to be able to filter based on sex (M or F) and/or filter based
on logged in status (Online or Offline) OR and/or filter based on some
other attribute OR perform no filtering at all. How would I go about
accomplishing this?

Thanks for any input/pointers.