hbase-user mailing list archives

From David Quigley <dquigle...@gmail.com>
Subject Efficiently scan table segments with coprocessor
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 02:30:30 GMT
Hi,

We have a short and tall hbase table structure where a single user's data
is stored across a set of rows in hbase. New events are inserted into a
user's data, and the sorting of the rows handles the structure of the users
data. Most of our user base is inactive at any given time. When a user's
data is updated, we want to run a computation on the user's data and update
the user's stats. Because of our userbase pattern, running a full scan is
very inefficient. We basically want to stream updates every time a user
takes an action.

I am thinking that the best way to do this is through a RegionObserver
coprocessor, using either prePut or postPut. Only problem is that we would
need to instantiate a new scan each time pre or postPut is called, which
might we inefficient. Since hbase already has a pointer to the user's data
via the Put, is there any way to leverage this to scan that local data more
efficiently than using a new InternalScanner?

Thanks,
Dave