hbase-user mailing list archives

From Libo Yu <yu_l...@hotmail.com>
Subject region number, region merge and performance
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2014 13:18:53 GMT
Hi all,

Because we have used the current time stamp in the key, as time goes on, we have
more than more regions. After TTL expires, many of regions are empty or almost
empty. So currently, our region servers have many regions on them but only a small
number of them are active (receive read/write requests).
So my questions are:

1 How does the number of region impact the performance? What I can think of is that
MSLAB is enabled, that will waste a lot memory.

2 I did some search. Hbase has utilities for merge regions and some people suggest to
recreate the table and reload the table. But if I want to merge regions for all the entities

on my cluster automatically,  what is the best way to do it?