hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Beaudreault <bbeaudrea...@hubspot.com>
Subject Re: region locality
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2014 02:06:09 GMT
The balancer in 0.92.x is very naive.  It just ensures that all
regionservers will have approximately the same number of regions.
 Therefore, the answer is: "yes it is possible, but not built that way so
likely no".

0.96.x has the stochastic load balancer, which apparently takes into
account locality (as well as other factors) during balancing.  Otherwise,
you could always create your own balancer, using the HBaseAdmin
interface--move(region, location) for instance.  This is what we did, but
regrettably it is not open sourceable at this time.