hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Storey <storey.j...@gmail.com>
Subject Region server failover
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2014 20:49:07 GMT
I'm still somewhat new to HBase and I'm trying to understand possibilities
for region server failover. If I have a region server that goes down, it
looks like I won't have any access to that region's data until a backup
server comes online. I read that I can reduce the zookeeper timeout to
minimize that time down, but in a system that is meant to be highly
available, it seems like this could be cause for concern since a portion of
the data will be entirely inaccessible.

Is there a way to have a secondary read-only region server that becomes the
new primary region server in the event of a failure? This way that data
will always be accessible unless all of the region server backups fail? Or
are there other ways to replicate region data to avoid loss of access for
possibly several minutes to that data if the server goes down?

Thanks,
Jeff