hbase-user mailing list archives

From Linlin Du <linlindu2...@hotmail.com>
Subject about region merging
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2014 13:40:50 GMT
Hi all,

Our usage of hbase is not very right and in many cases, time stamp is used as the prefix
of the keys. And it is too late to get that fixed now.
As more data comes in, more new regions will be spawned from the existing regions. And after
the retention period expires, many regions are almost empty. It is desirable to have these
empty region deleted. Here are my questions:

1 If a timestamp is used in the key (maybe not as prefix, e.g., in salting) and there is a
retention period,
after a region's data expires, the region becomes empty and is never used again. Is that right?

2 How to find out when a region was last modified/read?

3 Is there any easy way to merge small regions into a big one?