hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jigar Shah <jigar.s...@infodesk.com>
Subject HBase Schema for IPTC News ML G2
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2014 07:31:08 GMT
I am working in news processing industry, current system processes more
then million article per week. And provides this data in real time to
users, additionally it provides search capabilities via Lucene.

We convert all news to a standard IPTC NewsML
G2<http://www.iptc.org/site/News_Exchange_Formats/NewsML-G2/
<http://www.iptc.org/site/News_Exchange_Formats/NewsML-G2/>>format,
before providing it to users (in real-time or via search)

We have a requirement of component which provides analytical queries on
news data. I plan to load this all data in HBase and then have Map-Reduce
Jobs to compute analytical queries. More over current system is developed
on postgresql to store only 3 months data, anything more then this is big
data as it dosen't fit on one server.

But i am bit confused in developing schema for it.

Every news article has

*"messageID" as guid*, unique id for news message.
*"version" as int,* incremented if newer version of same news message is
published.
there are other fields like location, channels, title, content, source etc..

Current database primary key is a composite of (messageID & version).

I thought that, i should use "messageID" as "rowKey" in HBase. and
"version" as "columnFamily" and all columns will be fields of news (like
location, channels ,title, body, sentTimstamp, ...)

Keeping "version" as "columnFamily" is a good idea ?

In reality "single message may have thousands of version".

Or if any other solution when we have composite primary key in database.