hbase-user mailing list archives

From "S. Zhou" <myx...@yahoo.com>
Subject HBase timestamp consistency aross multiple region servers?
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2014 20:45:05 GMT
Here is what I am trying to figure out: in the same table,  if cell A is updated after cell
B, is it guaranteed that the time stamp of cell A is always bigger than the time stamp of
cell B, even cell A and cell B could be stored on different machines (therefore these two
machines might out of sync on time)?

The reason I am asking this question is: I want to use time stamp to order the updates by
time. These updates are issued from multiple machines. I was thinking to use global counter
(stored in a separated HBase table) but I guess that counter table might become a hot spot
since each update needs to update this table.

My general problem is: I want to sort the updates stored in Hbase from multiple machines.
Please let me know if you have good thoughts.

Thanks a lot
Senqiang