hbase-user mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Who creates hbase root.dir ?
Date Sun, 09 Feb 2014 03:16:38 GMT
A pseudo-distributed tarball setup runs all services as the same user,
so the user running HBase is automatically the HDFS superuser and can
create the directory by itself if it does not exist.

In a Bigtop environment there's a secure user-separation involved,
thereby requiring those commands you noticed during the

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 5:08 AM, Jay Vyas <jayunit100@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi hbase.
> In normal installations, Im wondering who should create hbase root.dir.
> 1) I have seen pseudo-distributed mode docs implying that Hbase is smart
> enough to do it by itself.
> "Let HBase create the hbase.rootdir directory. If you don't, you'll get
> warning saying HBase needs a migration run because the directory is missing
> files expected by HBase (it'll create them if you let it)."
> 2) But in bigtop, I see "mkdir" in the init-hdfs.sh :
> su -s /bin/bash hdfs -c '/usr/bin/hadoop fs -mkdir /hbase'
> su -s /bin/bash hdfs -c '/usr/bin/hadoop fs -chown hbase:hbase /hbase'
> So whats the right way to maintain hbase-root ?
> --
> Jay Vyas
> http://jayunit100.blogspot.com

Harsh J