hbase-user mailing list archives

From Chen Song <chen.song...@gmail.com>
Subject HBase compaction question
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2014 16:55:51 GMT
Below is the brief description of our use case

    * We use Cloudera CDH4
    * Our cluster has ~85 nodes and it stores one big table called "imps"
    * imps table is pre-split into 5000 regions, hence each node (region
server) has about 60 regions.
    * Each hour, we bulk load one hour worth of data in the volume of 40G,
with partitions generated based on region splits. We set TTL to 33 days so
total amount of data stored for that table is 33 * 40 * 24 = ~31T, assuming
major compaction works properly. Another indication of this process is
every our, each region will have its HFile count increased by 1.
    * We have automatic major compaction disabled as suggested.
    * There is an hourly job A that read from HBase and it takes about 30
minutes, so we can't really keep HBase downtime for hours.
    * The loading time + job A running time is about 45 minutes. So
effectively these is 15 minutes each hour HBase is not being used.

The problem we have ran into is with compaction.

    * The first thing we tried is to explicitly schedule major compaction
for the top (with most HFiles) 5 -10 regions per region server. This is
done every hour and the idea behind it is that we want to use the 15
minutes to compact the heaviest regions and with the hope to cycle through
all regions in each RS in 6 - 12 hours. However, there was some problem.

        * On CDH4, HBase major compaction can only be scheduled as
asynchronous and there is no way to trace it.
        * It used to work fine but as data grows more and more, the
asynchronous major compaction took more and more time.
        * Because of the above 2 facts, we see compaction queue piped up
and compaction never caught up.
    *
Then we disabled the first option and we resorted to automatic minor
compaction. We let HBase to manage itself and it works so far. However, our
concern is still there, as data grows, will it have the same problem as the
first option?

Let me know if you need further clarification or any questions. Thank you
very much in advance.

Best,

--
Chen Song