hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jan Schellenberger <leipz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Slow Get Performance (or how many disk I/O does it take for one non-cached read?)
Date Sun, 02 Feb 2014 05:38:00 GMT
I've experimented with the block size.  Here are results:
4k - 60reads/sec  - 1.2GB totalStaticIndexSize
8k - 80reads/sec  - 660MB totalStaticIndexSize
16k - 90reads/sec  - 330MB totalStaticIndexSize
and previously
64k - 80reads/sec - ~100mb totalStaticIndexSize

Also, I turned off caching and you are correct, the index blocks seem to be
cached always - the blockCachedSize grows until it reaches
totalStaticIndexSize and then stops growing.  If you turn caching on, it
will grow until the maxHeap * blockCacheSize (.4 in my case).

I saw no performance difference between caching off/on so I guess off is
fine.

Yes, I always do a major_compact before testing.

I think this probably concludes my question - I will try to upgrade to a
newer hbase version to get the CRC32/HDFS check fix and we will probably
have to evaluate SSD's.

Cheers, everyone.