hbase-user mailing list archives

From James Taylor <jtay...@salesforce.com>
Subject Re: use hbase as distributed crawl's scheduler
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 19:41:54 GMT
On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Asaf Mesika <asaf.mesika@gmail.com> wrote:

> Couple of notes:
> 1. When updating to status you essentially add a new rowkey into HBase, I
> would give it up all together. The essential requirement seems to point at
> retrieving a list of urls in a certain order.

Not sure on this, but seemed to me that setting the status field is forcing
the urls that have been processed to be at the end of the sort order.

2. Wouldn't salting ruin the sort order required? Priority, date added?

No, as Phoenix maintains returning rows in row key order even when they're
salted. We do parallel scans for each bucket and do a merge sort on the
client, so the cost is pretty low for this (we also provide a way of
turning this off if your use case doesn't need it).

Two years, JM? Now you're really going to have to start using Phoenix :-)